About the IOWA
The International One Wheel Association (IOWA) is a 501c7 nonprofit organization legitimizing and advocating for the sport of onewheel. Join our community of athletes, vendors, and event organizers as we work together to make onewheeling better for all!
Meet our generous vendor sponsors
How IOWA got started
In 2019 we started thinking about us – the community. The brainstorming began and several of us started meeting regularly to discuss how we could provide a benefit to the community. These conversations grew into a bigger idea of forming a membership organization for the benefit of the community with a goal: to help build the sport
We started having conversations with the community’s most active athletes and vendors to see who would support us. Almost everyone we spoke to pledged their support for our idea. We then began recruiting vendors and athletes, researched sports associations, formulated rules and regulations for competition, considered codes of conduct, and continued speaking with the most active in our community to aligned our mission and values.
We registered the International One Wheel Association (IOWA) in February 2020 as a 501c7 not-for-profit organization and launched in August 2020.
What is a 501c7?
As a 501c7 tax-exempt organization, IOWA is categorized as a social or recreational club, not as a charitable organization. To qualify for the better-known 501c3 designation, IOWA would have to meet additional requirements for international sporting associations, which we are not compliant at this time. Here’s what the IRS has to say about 501c7 social clubs:
- The club must be organized for exempt purposes.
- The club must provide an opportunity for personal contact among members and membership must be limited.
- The club must be supported by membership fees, dues, and assessments.
- The organization’s net earnings may not inure to the benefit of any person having a personal and private interest in its activities.
- If the club exceeds safe harbor guidelines for nonmember and investment income, the facts and circumstances must show that it is organized substantially for exempt purposes. See “Effect of Nonmember Income on Exempt Status” below for more information.
- The club may receive de minimis income from nontraditional sources.
- The club’s governing instrument may not contain a provision that provides for discrimination against any person on the basis of race, color, or religion.
IOWA memberships start at $5 per month or $50 per year. We hope you’ll join our community of dedicated riders and advocates working to improve the sport of onewheel! You can also support our mission with a one-time donation.
One of the best ways to support IOWA’s mission is to be our “boots on the ground” in your community. Click below to get in touch with us!